The Government of Canada is offering several scholarship programs to support candidates from abroad who wish to study, conduct research, or gain professional development in Canada on a short-term basis.
The Canadian Government Scholarships domiciled at the University of Alberta provide scholarship awards depending on the duration and level of study. The scholarship includes the Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program, Canada-Asean Scholarships and Educational Exchanges for Development (SEED), and the Study in Canada Scholarships.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Government of Canada
Scholarship Type: Full Funding
Host Institution(s): University of Alberta, Canada
Scholarship Worth: Varies
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Undergraduate and Postgraduate
Nationality: International Students
Details on Government of Canada International Scholarships:
The scholarship program supports international candidates who wish to study, conduct research, or gain professional development in Canada on a short-term basis. These programs include:
- Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program (ELAP): Undergraduate and graduate students from the Caribbean and South America
- Canada-ASEAN Scholarships and Educational Exchanges for Development (SEED) Undergraduate and graduate students from ASEAN member states
- Study in Canada Scholarships
Undergraduate and graduate students from:
Asia: Bangladesh, Nepal, Taiwan;
Europe: Turkey, Ukraine; The Middle East and North Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Libya, Morocco, Tunisia;
Sub-Saharan Africa: Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda.
Scholarship values vary depending on the duration and level of study. The table below summarizes the scholarship values for the different programs:
|Award Amount||Duration||Level of Study||Program|
|$15,900 CAD||8 months||Undergraduate||SEED, Study in Canada Scholarships|
|$12,700 CAD||5-6 months||Graduate||SEED, Study in Canada Scholarships|
|$11,100 CAD||5-6 months||Graduate||ELAP|
|$10,200 CAD||Four months||Undergraduate; Graduate||SEED, Study in Canada Scholarships|
|$8,200 CAD||Four months||Undergraduate; Graduate||ELAP|
Government of Canada International Scholarships Eligibility Criteria:
To be considered for the Government of Canada International Scholarships 2024/25 at the University of Alberta, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- An undergraduate applicant applying for a research-based experience must provide a written institutional collaboration and student exchange agreement or a Letter of Invitation from the University of Alberta professor who has agreed to supervise you.
- For graduate applications, an inter-institutional agreement is desirable but not mandatory.
- Student applicants must be enrolled full-time in their proposed degree program at the time of application.
- Must be proficient in the language of instruction at the Canadian institution (English or French) before they arrive in Canada, as the scholarship does not cover language training.
How to Apply for Government of Canada International Scholarships:
Interested applicants for the Government of Canada Scholarships 2024/25 at the University of Alberta must ensure that they meet the eligible criteria for the scholarship before they can find a host professor/supervisor. Email professors, you would potentially like to work with the following information:
- Your full name and contact information
- Your home University and home country
- Whether you are currently an undergraduate (bachelor) or graduate (master or doctoral) student
- Which year of your degree program you are in
- The full name of the scholarship program you would be applying for
- How long do you wish to do research (4 months, 5-6 months, eight months)
- Your ideal start date (must finish no later than February 1 each year)
- Documents such as your CV/resume, university academic transcripts, and cover letter
- A link to the information for host supervisors
Once the applicant has found a potential host supervisor, they will work with their home institution and UAlberta host supervisor to gather the required supporting documents, which will be submitted while completing the Electronic Application Form.
Application Deadline: Not specified
Kindly click on this link to apply.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How to get an international scholarship to Canada?
General Requirements For Applying For Scholarship In Canada
1. Good grades. Most scholarships offered in Canada are based on merit, so you must have good grades to stand a good chance.
2. Take the language proficiency test.
3. Extracurricular activities.
Can you get a full scholarship in Canada for international students?
Luckily, many fully-funded scholarships are available to help international students manage the costs of post-secondary education in Canada. To get you started, we’ve compiled a list of some of the top scholarships for newcomers that can help you achieve your academic goals in 2023 and beyond.
Is there a 100% scholarship to study in Canada?
Pearson International Scholarship Program 2022 is a fully funded scholarship for international students. A total of 37 scholarships are available for undergraduate studies. This scholarship will cover four years of tuition, books, incidental fees, and full residence support.
How can a Nigerian student get a scholarship in Canada?
Fully funded scholarships in Canada for Nigerian students
1. Leakey Foundation Research Grants.
2. Google PhD Fellowship Program.
3. Lester B.
4. Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships.
5. Trudeau Foundation Scholarships.
6. Humber College International Entrance Scholarships. .
7. University of British Columbia International Leader of Tomorrow Award.
What is the most accessible country to get a scholarship?
The following countries are known to offer some of the easiest scholarships for international students:
4. United States.
8. Czech Republic.